Sembcorp Marine's commitment towards corporate social responsibility extends to the global community.
Our overseas subsidiaries actively champion and support various environmental sustainability and social development initiatives to positively impact the local community in their areas of operation.
Estaleiro Jurong Aracruz (EJA), our wholly owned subsidiary in Brazil, is committed to environmental sustainability and supports various biodiversity and conservation programmes that promote ecological protection. The yard also has a broad range of community outreach initiatives that focus on diverse aspects, from education and training to social support and arts promotion.
EJA is active in its community engagement efforts through its ‘Navigating is a Need’ programme. Started in November 2011, the programme engages various stakeholders in the local communities to develop social values, knowledge, skills and attitudes for advancing environmental conservation and community development.
The yard was accorded several awards in recent years for its significant contributions to the community. These include:
- Human Being Award 2018 (Business Category) – for developing local Brazilian talent through the Joint Educational Programme
- Human Being Award 2018 (Sustainability Category) – for support of sustainable wood-working initiatives to empower women in the community
- Premio Ecologia Award 2014 – for contributing to Espirito Santo’s environmental, socio-economic and cultural development
- Naval Award for Quality and Sustainability (PNQS) 2014 – for providing marine and offshore training opportunities in Singapore under the Joint Educational Programmme
- Naval Award for Quality and Sustainability (PNQS) 2013 – for contributions to the community via the “Navigating is a Need” programme
EJA actively promotes environmental sustainability and green awareness within the community through various avenues.
Key initiatives include:
- RECEPAC Programme – Sponsored by EJA, this initiative by the RECEPAC (Rede de Cooperação em Estudos, Extensão e Pesquisa sobre Ambientes Costeiros e Marinhos Capixabas) funds environmental research projects relating to the coastal and marine areas in the state of Espirito Santo
- Environmental education programmes for schools and green outreach activities organised by EJA
Committed to talent development in Brazil, Sembcorp Marine has in place a Joint Educational Programme in partnership with the Instituto Federal do Espirito Santo (IFES) and Singapore’s Ngee Ann Polytechnic. Selected trainees have opportunities to undergo overseas education, training and attachment in Singapore. In addition, EJA also partners several educational institutions in Brazil to provide vocational training and apprenticeship programmes in specialised trades for locals in the neighbouring communities.
EJA contributes towards social improvements and philanthropic causes through a wide range of community development programmes.
These initiatives include:
- Sponsoring technical skills training and seafaring courses for locals
- Organising sporting workshops for youths
- Providing learning resources for the community
- Promoting arts and cultural appreciation
- Contributing towards fund-raising projects and charitable causes
|Learn more about EJA’s community and social responsibility initiatives here|
Sembmarine SLP, our UK-based subsidiary in Lowestoft, contributes to a Safety Observation Scheme (SOS) charity fund to recognise the good safety performance of employees and subcontractors. Customers are also encouraged to give towards the fund which supports various philanthropic causes.
In 2018, Sembmarine SLP together with customer partners TOTAL gave over £16,000 through the SOS charity fund to those in need within the local community. So far, over £376,000 in charitable contributions were extended to beneficiaries through the fund.
Sembcorp Marine’s Indonesian yards actively give back to the community by helping those in need within the locality. PT SMOE Indonesia in Batam supports various village projects, including donating materials to support the reconstruction of an orphanage and contributing food supplies to meet the healthcare needs of locals. Over in Karimun Island, PT Karimun Sembawang Shipyard contributes towards social improvement and provides technical training opportunities to high school students and university undergraduates in the community.
|Find out about Sembcorp Marine’s community and social initiatives here|