Sembcorp Marine's commitment towards corporate social responsibility extends to the global community.
Our overseas subsidiaries actively champion and support various environmental sustainability and social development initiatives to positively impact the local community in their areas of operation.
Estaleiro Jurong Aracruz (EJA), our wholly owned subsidiary In Brazil, is committed to environmental sustainability and supports various biodiversity and conservation programmes that promote ecological protection. EJA also has a broad range of community outreach initiatives that focus on diverse aspects, from education and training to social support and arts promotion.
The yard was honoured for its significant contributions to Espirito Santo’s environmental, socio-economic and cultural development with the distinguished Premio Ecologia Award, a top accolade in the area of sustainability.
EJA actively promotes environmental sustainability and green awareness within the community through various avenues.
Key initiatives include:
- Fundão Integrated Management Project (Plano de Gestão Integrada) – Supported by EJA and coordinated by Central Única das Favelas of Espírito Santo (CUFA-ES), this environmental programme promotes preservation of coastal areas and sustainable use of natural resources in the municipality of Fundão
- RECEPAC Programme – Sponsored by EJA, this initiative by the RECEPAC (Rede de Cooperação em Estudos, Extensão e Pesquisa sobre Ambientes Costeiros e Marinhos Capixabas) funds environmental research projects relating to the coastal and marine areas in the state of Espirito Santo
- Environmental education programmes for schools and green outreach activities organised by EJA
EJA contributes towards social improvements and philanthropic causes through a wide range of community development programmes.
These initiatives include:
- Sponsoring technical skills training and seafaring courses for locals
- Organising sporting workshops for youths
- Providing learning resources for the community
- Promoting arts and cultural appreciation
- Contributing towards fund-raising projects and charitable causes
Environmental & Community Initiatives in Brazil
Sembmarine SLP, our UK-based subsidiary in Lowestoft, contributes to a charity fund to recognise the good safety performance of employees and subcontractors. Customers are also encouraged to give towards the fund which supports various philanthropic causes.
In 2015, Sembmarine SLP together with customers Siemens and Statoil gave more than £10,500 to those in need within the local community. So far, over £320,000 in charitable contributions were extended to beneficiaries through the fund.
Sembcorp Marine’s Indonesian yards actively give back to the community by helping those in need within the locality. PT SMOE Indonesia in Batam supports several various village projects, including donating materials to support the reconstruction of an orphanage and contributing food supplies to meet the healthcare needs of locals. Over in Karimun Island, PT Karimun Sembawang Shipyard provides technical training opportunities to high school students and university undergraduates in the community.
For more information about Sembcorp Marine’s corporate social responsibility and community engagement initiatives, please click here.